Inuit Youth in Small Business

Funded by the OFIFC

This program for youth of ages 13 to 29, uses traditional Inuit art to teach skills while learning small business information.

Youth are being mentored by skilled artisans from the community and are learning such skills as carving, jewelery-making and sewing. This is a social enterprise, whereby the youth are making some money but are also contributing to sustainable programming. Youth also participate in bi-weekly business meeting with Enactus business students. Youth are given 60% of what is earned from the sale of their items and the other 40% goes back into the studio for materials and equipment.

The youth sell their wares at various events and craft shows and an online store (on-line shopping information to come).

The studio was funded through TD Bank and the small business is funded through OFIFC.

For more information, contact the Director of Programs: Erica Selschotter, 613-744-3133, ext. 211

OICC