Inuit Family Literacy Program
Promoting Inuktitut and English literacy for Inuit children and families.
Inuit Family Literacy Program targets Inuit children aged 0-13 years and their families. The goal is to blend academic literacy with cultural literacy to promote literacy skills in Inuktitut and English in Inuit families. We offer activities to develop and support emerging literacy skills in young children; support continued literacy in school age children; promote cultural literacies and foster parental involvement in their child’s literacy development.
The Family Literacy Program has served approximately 270 children and adults in the past year.
- Baby & Me
- Circle times with Tumiralaat & Sivummut
- Literacy activities with Tukimut
- Literacy activity bags (RAPP Packs)
- Game nights
- Elder Storytelling nights
- Weekly book lending
- Seeds of Empathy
- Recipients of the Suzanne Pinel Book Award for Family Literacy Day
- Family Literacy PJ Night based on the book “If You Gave a Mouse a Cookie”
- Partnering with Carleton University to have Appa as part of the working team
Harold Crabtree Foundation
City of Ottawa
TD Canada Trust
Ottawa Citizen Literacy Foundation
For more information, call Lynda Brown, ext. 222 – firstname.lastname@example.org
©2013 by The Ottawa Inuit Children's Centre | All Rights Reserved.